Friday, June 8, 2012

Happy Birthday Mom!


As I transition my blog into a world where I rediscover what it is like to be a real commuter, I wanted to take a few moments and write a little tribute to someone I love and respect very much. 

Some of you may think I am writing a silly, affectionate blog toward Red.  Unfortunately, I think I will have to rebuild a rapport with Red given that she has driven by and I haven’t received any honks of acknowledgement.

Anyhow…

My mom is the best person I know.  She, hands down, is the reason I am the person I am today.  Faults and all, I am proud of who I am.  And it was my Mom who never saw otherwise.  She has always seen my best, my strongest, my funniest (even when I tell a terrible joke), my prettiest, my smartest, my wisest, my most athletic.  I look back now after struggling for many years with self-acceptance and I realize she has NEVER saw me negatively.  And I think it breaks her little by little, to see me not see myself as nothing short of wonderful.

Thank you Mom.

Thanks for being funny and spirited even if your jokes make your kids a little uncomfortable.  Thanks for dancing with me in the kitchen to The Temptations and showing me how you used to do the Monster Mash.  Thanks for making our chores on Saturdays fun by blasting Harry Belfonte and Yellow.  Thanks for making me all my Halloween costumes especially the  bag of M&Ms costume you made out of a pillow case   – genius.   (I was actually telling someone about that today!) Thank you for encouraging me to do sports even though I wore thick glasses and couldn’t see the ball.  Thank you for coming to my swim meets weekend after weekend.  Thank you for driving extra every night to pick me up from swim practice. Thank you for all the pranks and mischievous ideas. Thank you for the incognito trips to McDonalds.  Thank you for speed shopping and picking out a whole new outfit for me in 20 minutes (which I still get compliments on).  Thank you for your random texts telling me to come home.  Thanks for beautiful jewelry you hand made for me.  Thank you for teaching me patience, fairness and the value of commitment.  Thank you for loving me unconditionally.  Thank you for your generous heart.  Thank you for your incredible love and acceptance of Lelanie.  Thank you for being a loving, giving Grandma to Willa and Serafina.  Thank you for being goofy and playing with your grandchildren.

Thank you for being you.  I learn a lot from you.

Happy Birthday Mom!!!  I love you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment